Mohd Heikal Husin, Ts. Dr.
Tel : +604 653 2129
Fax : +604 653 3335
Room : 622
School of Computer Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 USM, Pulau Pinang
Organizational impacts of socially based applications, IT Policy development, Semantic web / Data mining, Human computer interaction (HCI), Management Information System (MIS)
Government 2.0, Social media applications / usage, Web 2.0, Enterprise 2.0, Socially web based platforms
BA (Hons) in Multimedia Computing, Coventry University, UK / INTI International University, Malaysia.
MSc in e-Commerce, University of South Australia, Aus.
PhD (IT), University of South Australia, Aus.
Organizational impacts of socially based applications
IT Policy development
Semantic web / Data mining
Human computer interaction (HCI)
Management Information System (MIS)
- A Theoretical Framework for Ethical Online Behaviours on Social Media Platforms among Malaysian Primary School Students (2017, completed)
- ResQ Banjir: A Mobile Apps for Emergency Rescue, Evacuation and Relief Center Management (March 2015): co-researcher. Project led by PM. Muhammad Rafie Hj Mohd Arshad (completed January 2016)
1. A New Model for Malaysian Government Social Media Use by Integrating with Cyber-Physical Systems via Crowd Sensing Technique: co-researcher & co-leader.(Started Nov 2020).
- Shaping Pro-Environment Behaviours: co-researcher & co-leader.(Started April 2019). Currently a sub-project leader for the Education Module under the main project.
Abdulahi, I.N., Husin, M.H., Baharudin, A.S., Factors Influencing the Adoption of Facebook as a Marketing Channel among SMEs in Nigeria as a Developing Country: A Conceptual Framework, (2021) Jurnal Intelek, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 99-107, 2021.
Sabeh, H.N, Husin, M.H., Kee, D.M.H, Baharudin, A.S., Abdullah, R., A Systematic Review of the DeLone and McLean Model of Information Systems Success in an E-Learning Context (2010–2020), (2021) IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 81210 - 81235, 2021, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3084815.
Al-Sai, Z.A.,Abdullah, R., Husin, M.H., Critical Success Factors for Big Data: A Systematic Literature Review, (2020) IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 118940-118956, 2020, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3005461.
Mustafa, Z., Husin, M.H., Syed-Mohamad, S.M., Abdullah, N.A., Global Research Trends in Pro-Environmental Behaviour (PEB) Studies in the Field of Computer Science from 1976-2019: A Bibliometric Analysis?,(2020) Journal of Scientometric Research, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 136-145.
Hamundu, F.M., Husin, M.H., Baharudin, A.S., Khaleel, M., Intention to Adopt Cloud Accounting: A Conceptual Model from Indonesian MSMEs Perspectives, (2020) Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business (JAFEB), vol. 7, no. 12, ISSN: 2288-4637.
Abdulahi, I.N. Husin, M.H., Baharudin, A.S., Factors Influencing the Adoption of Facebook as a Marketing Channel among SMEs in Nigeria as a Developing Country: A Conceptual Framework, (2020) International Social Science Conference: Business Management and Entrepreneurship (BizMEnt) @ 5th International Innovation, Design and Articulation (i-IDEA 2020), Penang, Malaysia.
Al-Sai, Z. A., Abdullah, R., Husin, M.H., Syed-Mohamad, S.M. A preliminary systematic performance on critical success factors categories for big data analytics, (2019) International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology, 9 (1), pp. 2320-2324. DOI: 10.35940/ijeat.A2657.109119 (SCOPUS).
Rosli, N.A.A., Husin, M.H. Initial exploration on an effective social media analytics method and algorithm for instagram hashtags, (2019) International Journal of e-Business Research, 15 (3), pp. 1-15. DOI: 10.4018/IJEBR.2019070101
Husin, M.H., Lim, Y.K. InWalker: smart white cane for the blind, (2019) Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, Taylor & Francis (ISI)
Al-Sai, Z.A., Abdullah, R., Husin, M.H. A review on big data maturity models, (2019) 2019 IEEE Jordan International Joint Conference on Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, JEEIT 2019 - Proceedings, , pp. 156-161. DOI: 10.1109/JEEIT.2019.8717398
Al-Sai, Z.A., Abdullah, R., Husin, M.H. Big Data Impacts and Challenges: A Review, (2019) 2019 IEEE Jordan International Joint Conference on Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, JEEIT 2019 - Proceedings, , pp. 150-155. DOI: 10.1109/JEEIT.2019.8717484
Ahmad Ibrahim, M.M., Syed-Mohamad, S.M., Husin, M.H. Managing quality assurance challenges of Devops through analytics, (2019) ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, Part F147956, pp. 194-198. DOI: 10.1145/3316615.3316670
Syed-Mohamad, S.M., Husin, M.H., Wan Zainon, W.M.N. Visualizing test-defect coverage information to support analytical reasoning and testing, (2019) ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, Part F147956, pp. 184-188. DOI: 10.1145/3316615.3316666
Mun, S.P., Husin, M.H., Singh, M.M., Malim, N.H.A.H. N-LibSys: Library system using NFC technology, (2018) Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, 425, pp. 22-30. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-10-5281-1_3
Mohd Arshad, M.R., Hj Mohamed, H., Husin, M.H., Hassan, F.H., Wan Zainon, W.M.N., Ahmad, A.R. RESQ Banjir: A Mobile Apps for Emergency Rescue,Evacuation and Relief Centre Management, (2018) International Conference on Innovations in Computer Science and Engineering (iCiCSE 2018), Kuching, Sarawak
Zainal Abidin, S.S., Husin, M.H. Improving Security and Accessibility on Document Management System: A Malaysian Case Study, (2018) Applied Computing and Informatics (ACI), ISSN: 2210-8327
Yasse, N.S.B., Husin, M.H. Enterprise Social Media within Malaysian company: Usage impacts among employees, (2017) International Conference on Research and Innovation in Information Systems, ICRIIS, , pp. -. DOI: 10.1109/ICRIIS.2017.8002529
Thin, L.N., Husin, M.H. Smart flyers mobile application, (2017) Proceeding - 2017 3rd International Conference on Science in Information Technology: Theory and Application of IT for Education, Industry and Society in Big Data Era, ICSITech 2017, 2018-January, pp. 195-199. DOI: 10.1109/ICSITech.2017.8257109
Mt Tahir, T.B., Bin Husin, M.H. Online social media and risks: An exploration into existing children practice ,(2017) Proceedings - 2017 International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Informatics: Advancing Knowledge, Research, and Technology for Humanity, ICELTICs 2017, 2018-January, pp. 195-200. DOI: 10.1109/ICELTICS.2017.8253250
Ching, L.L., Malim, N.H.A.H., Husin, M.H., Singh, M.M. Smart university: Reservation system with contactless technology, (2017) ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, , pp. -. DOI: 10.1145/3018896.3018903
Husin, M.H., Loghmani, N., Zainal Abidin, S.S. Increasing e-government adoption in Malaysia: MyEG case study, (2017) Journal of Systems and Information Technology, 19 (4-Mar), pp. 202-227. DOI: 10.1108/JSIT-01-2017-0007
Singh, M.M., Ng, P.J., Yap, K.M., Husin, M.H., Malim, N.H.A.H. Cyberbullying and a mobile game app? An initial perspective on an alternative solution, (2017) Journal of Information Processing Systems, 13 (3), pp. 559-572. DOI: 10.3745/JIPS.04.0033
Tahir, T.B.M., Husin, M.H.B., Malim, N.H.A.H. Children and social media usage: Malaysian initial perspective ,(2016) 2016 3rd International Conference on Computer and Information Sciences, ICCOINS 2016 - Proceedings, , pp. 143-147. DOI: 10.1109/ICCOINS.2016.7783204
Husin, M.H., Evans, N., Deegan, G. Achieving adoption and effective usage of Web 2.0 among employees within Australian government organizations ,(2016) Journal of Systems and Information Technology, 18 (1), pp. 41-63. DOI: 10.1108/JSIT-04-2015-0031
Thin, L.N., Ting, L.Y., Husna, N.A., Husin, M.H. GPS systems literature: Inaccuracy factors and effective solutions, (2016) International Journal of Computer Networks and Communications, 8 (2), pp. 123-131. DOI: 10.5121/ijcnc.2016.8211
Sher Khan, S., Husin, M.H. Culturability: Initial Results from Malaysia and Pakistan University Websites ,(2016) International Conference on Applied Computing, Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (ACME 2016), Johor, Malaysia
Ng, M.L., Husin, M.H. A Social Commerce Framework: An Initial Study for Malaysian Online Retailers, (2016) International Conference on Applied Computing, Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (ACME 2016), Johor, Malaysia
Wai Soon, S., Wei, L.T., Mahinderjit Singh, M., Husin, M.H. INdoor-OuTdoor Elderly CAring SystEm (NOTECASE), (2015) 2nd International Symposium on Technology Management and Emerging Technologies, ISTMET 2015 - Proceeding, , pp. 136-141. DOI: 10.1109/ISTMET.2015.7359017
Rostam, N.A., Zulkiffli, N.F., Ghazali, N.H., Ahamed Hassain Malim, N.H., Mahinderjit Singh, M., Husin, M.H. The acceptance study of NFC technology: A survey of models and user acceptance, (2015) 2nd International Symposium on Technology Management and Emerging Technologies, ISTMET 2015 - Proceeding, , pp. 53-57. DOI: 10.1109/ISTMET.2015.7359000
Sagadevan, S., Malim, N.H.A.H., Husin, M.H. Sentiment Valences for Automatic Personality Detection of Online Social Networks Users Using Three Factor Model, (2015) Procedia Computer Science, 72, pp. 201-208. DOI: 10.1016/j.procs.2015.12.122
Chew, C.B., Wei, K.C., Sheng, T.W., Mahinderjit-Singh, M., Malim, N.H.A.H., Husin, M.H. Security challenges and mitigations of NFC-Enabled attendance system, (2015) Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 9141, pp. 160-167. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-20472-7_18
Othman, A.S., Kadir, H.A., Ishak, N.H.H., Ahamed, M.H.H.N.H., Malim, H., Singh, M.M. Mobile organizer apps: A general understanding study among the undergraduates of Universiti Sains Malaysia (2015) ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 10 (15), pp. 6381-6386. DOI:
Osman, N.F., Samsudin, N.F., Nor, N.S.M., Husin, M.H., Malim, N.H.A.H., Singh, M.M. User friendliness of near-field communication, (2015) ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 10 (15), pp. 6370-6375. DOI:
Lim, T.B., Husin, M.H., Zaaba, Z.F., Osman, M.A. Implementation of an Automated Smart home Control for Detecting Human Emotions via Facial Detection, (2015) 5th International Conference on Computing and Informatics (ICOCI 2015). Istanbul, Turkey
Chew, C.B., Mahinderjit Singh, M., Wei, K.C., Sheng, T.W., Husin, M.H.,Malim, N.H.A.H. Sensors-enabled Smart Attendance Systems using NFC and RFID Technologies in Safar, M., Latip, R. (Eds), (2015) International Journal of New Computer Architectures and their Applications, vol. 5, no. 1, pg. 19-28.
Boon, L.T., Husin, M.H., Zaaba, Z.F., Osman, M.A. Eye 2H: A proposed automated smart home control system for detecting human emotions through facial detection, (2014) 2014 the 5th International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for the Muslim World, ICT4M 2014, , pp. -. DOI: 10.1109/ICT4M.2014.7020652
Husin, M.H., Hanisch, J. Social Media Policy in the Workplace: User Awareness, (2014) Springer in the Encyclopedia of Social Network Analysis and Mining (ESNAM) (ISBN: 978-1-4614-6169-2). September 2014
Abd. Rahman, N., Razali, N.S., Mohd Ali, S.A., Malim, N.H.A.H., Husin, M.H., Mahinderjit Singh, M. Digital Etiquette: Educating Primary School Children via Mobile Game Application, (2014) International Conference Knowledge Management, 12 – 15 August 2014, Langkawi, Malaysia
Husin, M.H., Evans, N., Deegan, G. A rating tool for effective social media policy development, (2013) Proceedings of the 24th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, , pp. -. DOI:
Husin, M.H., Hanisch, J. Utilising the social media and organisation policy (SOMEOP) framework: An example of organisational policy development within a public sector entity, (2011) 19th European Conference on Information Systems, ECIS 2011, , pp. -. DOI:
Husin, M.H., Hanisch, J. Social Media and Organisation Policy (SOMEOP): Finding the perfect balance, (2011) 19th European Conference on Information Systems, ECIS 2011, , pp. -. DOI:
Bin Husin, M.H., Swatman, P.M.C. Removing the barriers to Enterprise 2.0 ,(2010) International Symposium on Technology and Society, Proceedings, , pp. 275-283. DOI: 10.1109/ISTAS.2010.5514627
- Tahirah binti Mt Tahir (main supervisor) – on-going: Digital Etiquette Impacts for Social Media usage among Primary Students in Malaysia
- Nuramalina binti Mohamad Na’In (main supervisor) – on-going: Factors of Attracting and Retaining Crowds among B40 to Perform Digital Task
- Abdullahi Idris Naumma (main supervisor) – on-going: Empirical Study of Factors Influencing the Adoption of Internet Banking: A Case Study from Northern Nigeria
- Ferdinand Murni Hamundu (main supervisor) – on-going: Indonesian Microbusiness and Cloud Accounting
- Salma Mohamed Elsayed Hassan Amer (main supervisor) – on-going: Examining the Adoption of Business Process Management in SME in Egypt
- Kirubagari A/P Vellaisamy (main supervisor) – on-going: TOE Factors Affecting SME’s Adoption of Big Data Analytics
- Hala Najwan Sabeh Al Muwassefi (main supervisor) – on-going: Web-based Learning Support System: An Investigation of USM Lecturer and Students Adoption
- Arif Mahmud (main supervisor) – on-going: Adoption of IoT For Security Purposes in Dhaka
- Mayawi A/P Baba @ Nalikant (main supervisor) – ongoing: Education and Technology: A Smarter Approach to Zero Waste Campus
- Aliyu Shehu Yakubu (main supervisor) – on-going: Cloud Computing Adoption by North-Eastern Nigerian Academic Libraries
- Alsarayreh Safa Khaled Jamil (main supervisor) - on-going: prospective title undecided
- Zaher Ali Hassan Al-Sai (2020, co-supervisor) – Big Data Framework for Government Organisations
- Gambo Idris (2021, main supervisor) – waiting for graduation: Factors Affecting NFC Adoption in Small and Medium Enterprises: An Interpretive Study of Nigeria
Masters by Research
- Abdul Salam bin Waqar Ahmed (main supervisor) – on-going: Mobile Technology in Government Sector
1. Saravanan A/L Sagadevan (2014, co-supervisor) – completed: Personality Detection in Online Social Networking by using Three Factor Personality Model
Masters Mixed Mode
- Sehrish Sher Khan (2015, completed): Design Framework for University Websites
- Han Lin Nan (2015, completed): Microblog based Information Disclosure Framework for Chinese Local Government
- Mana Mohamed Omar Ahmed (2018, completed): Enhancing the Business Process for the IT Department within the Central Bank of Libya using Microsoft SharePoint
- Norhardi bin Sabri (2019, completed): Smart Government Implementation Exploration: Flood Policy and Disaster Management System
Masters by coursework (Informatics)
1. Yew Kok Leong (2021, on-going): Challenges of Implementing IoT in the Supply Chain Management System of SME Food Manufacturer
- Julianna Ann A/P Manglesparun (2015, completed): A Roadmap to Adoption of Cloud Manufacturing
- Siti Salbiah bt Zainal Abidin (2016, completed): Improving Security and Accessibility on Document Management System using NFC Technology
- New Lay Kee (2016, completed): The Effectiveness of Heuristic Evaluation on User Interface Design on Airline Website
- Wong Kee Wei (2017, completed): The Pronged Solution for Existing Accounting Information System during the Ledger Close Period in Malaysia Companies
- Li Nyen Thin (2018, completed): Smart Airport Transport Suggestion Module
- Welyne Su Jhung Weng (2019, completed): User’s Intention to Adopt Library System Integrated with GPS Indoor Positioning System
- Thinking Techniques (HTV201)
- Ethic Relations (SHE101)
- Integrated Software Development Workshop (CAT200)
- Software Project Management, Process, and Evolution (CPT343/CPM314)
- Software Quality Assurance and Testing (CPT441)
- Technopreneurship & Business Development (CIT571)
- Financial Planning & Management (CIT573)
- Business Engineering with ERP Solutions (CIT 551)
Recognition, Leadership & Certification
- International Journal of Cloud Applications and Computing (IJCAC), IGI-Global, 2019 - Editorial Review Board
- Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering (CPRE), 2018, MSTB-IREB
- Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL), 2017, MSTB-ISTQB
- HCAI (Huawei Certified Academy Instructor), 2020, Huawei ICT Academy
HCIA-AI (Huawei AI), 2020, Huawei ICT Academy
Current Professional Memberships
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Dell EMC Malaysia, 2019 – Industry survey to capture industry requirements within the Northern Region on current Computer Sciences graduates (on-going)